Thoughts from a Conundrum

an enigma wrapped in a riddle dressed in a conundrum

Monday, January 19, 2004

Stuff

So, on Saturday i went to Lanigan. (Yes, i know, wow, Lanigan) I had a wonderful time. I had 'Christmas' with the extended family-well, some of the extended family from my moms side. I went with mom for lunch with some of the family who could make it. It was really good to see them all again, after not seeing them since the last funeral in summer. It's really good to see how close we have become, well, except the one family unit that doesn't make the effort-but whatever. Anyway, it was good to catch up.
The bonus however, was/is that my relatively new cousin(she married my cousin in nov.) from Mexico had a baby. (as well as her sister-in-law who wasn't there) So, i got to spend the better part of the afternoon holding my new cousin. Though she slept most of the day. Seriously, can she sleep! Her mom and i tried to wake her for 20 minutes!
I also received a dear gift. My aunt brought out this huge bag to me with a bunch of yarn(okay, so far, it may sound kinda dumb). She takes out the beginning of what looks like a baby afghan.(not an afghan child-the blanket) I then thought to myself, self-she probably made a goof and doesn't know how to fix it-and then, uh oh i suck at teaching crocheting. But no, she told me my grandma(who passed away in summer) had started it and she didn't know the pattern. See, the day we left for Fernie, i hurried over to gran's to learn the pattern to make my own blanket on the trip for something to do. I guess i was the only one she taught because my aunts couldn't do it. She hands it all to me saying do whatever with it. Gran made an afghan for each grandchild(though pam's mine somehow disappeared) and she was trying to make 2 new ones for the new babies, but never got to finish.
This may sound selfish, but neither baby is going to get this blanket i'm making. I realize i may be planning way too far ahead, but if i should ever have a baby of my own this blanket will go there. It's not that i don't plan to make the same type of afghan for the 2 new great-grand-children-just not this one. I've wanted something special to pass on to future children to share with them just how wonderful my grandma was, along with the impact she's made on my life.
|