Thoughts from a Conundrum

an enigma wrapped in a riddle dressed in a conundrum

Sunday, July 11, 2004

A Lesson for Me

God definitely has a sense of humour. I'm sure He laughs at me daily-much like the rest of you. While i was at camp God taught me something-well lots of somethings but one that stuck out. I learned this week that it is not my job to change people and make them enjoy devo time. This may seem like a simple lesson for most people-but it took me a long time to realize this. Everyday i worked super hard at trying to get the girls involved and into devos, and a couple of them would totally ignore me by sleeping or doing misc. things in their bunks, or be totally silent when i needed involvement. They did however enjoy telling me mindless stories about various family members and the quirks they have. It took until Wed or Thurs. during devo time for me to realize that i can only do so much and that if the girls aren't into it-i really don't need to force anything on them. In the middle of devo time(when my co-counselor was getting super frustrated with the girls not listening) i started laughing, and not quietly either. The girls thought i had gone nuts-well maybe that was part of it too, but whatever. I told them what i realized and that after we prayed, we could just be random and talk about whatever. And the funny thing is, is that i think we had better talks after that happened. Not to mention a super pillow fight and dog pile. :)
|